That crazy week into the future by Felpata_Lupin

73 Reviews · 24 likes · Table of Contents · Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

In which Remus and Sirius are mostly happy and Peter less so 

 

It was already half past ten when Remus got down to the Common Room. Probably thanks to Sirius' return, he'd managed to sleep straight through the night and he was feeling truly rested for the first time in way too long.

 

The scene that greeted him was a strange one, but one that made him smile nonetheless.

 

James, Lily and Harry were all sitting on the couch in front of the fireplace, turning the pages of some huge book and looking content of just being together.

 

Sirius was talking animatedly to the Weasley twins and their friend Lee Jordan. He let out his bark-like laugh and Remus' heart warmed up at the sound.

 

Ron and Hermione were sitting at a table nearby, playing a game of chess. Considering all the drama between them in the previous days, Remus was surprised to see them getting along so easily, but he had a feeling that wasn't exactly unusual for the pair of them.

 

He reached Sirius and put an arm around his shoulder. “Ah, good morning, Sleeping Beauty,” Sirius joked, turning to him. And then, unexpectedly, he pulled him into a hug. Remus held into him perhaps a bit longer and tighter than what would be acceptable for friendship. Sirius didn't seem to mind, and that warmed Remus' heart a bit more.

 

“Well, I don't know about you lot, but I'm starving,” James eventually declared, addressing the whole room. “I'm off to breakfast.”

 

The rest of the group didn't need to be told twice.

 

As they headed down to the Great Hall, Remus and Sirius somehow fell a bit behind everyone else. Remus, in a sudden surge of courage, reached out for his hand and was surprised when Sirius didn't retract it, conversely gave a squeeze and turned to him with a bright smile. “I thought you'd never dare, Remus.”

 

“I didn't think you might... I mean...”

 

“I've liked you since forever, Moony. I just didn't want you to feel pushed, or something.”

 

Remus blinked. “I...”

 

“Better late than never, no?”

 

Remus nodded, then leaned in and posed his head on Sirius' shoulder. “Definitely.”

 

*

 

“Well, good morning, there.”

 

Sirius gave Remus a confused and sleepy look, then started feeling out the mattress he was lying on, as if trying to ascertain that it wasn't a figment of his imagination. “This is not a dream, is it?” he asked, just to make sure.

 

Remus smiled kindly. “It isn't.”

 

“I'd forgotten how it felt to sleep in a real bed... what time is it?”

 

“Just before noon. I asked the house elves to bring some food here, I figured you'd rather stay away from the Great Hall for now.”

 

“Thank you, Moony.”

 

Remus just nodded in acknowledgement.

 

Two house elves appeared right then, with a large tray filled with lamb chops, roast beef, baked potatoes and more. Remus thanked them and once they disappeared with a bow he went to sit on Sirius' bed, laying the tray between them. Sirius immediately started stuffing his mouth voraciously and Remus couldn't help the little disgusted look he sent him, but refrained from commenting.

 

“I'm sorry,” he murmured eventually.

 

Sirius stopped eating and gave him a confused look. “What for?”

 

“For doubting you... I should've seen that...”

 

Sirius reached out and clasped both of Remus' hands. It was so strange, but also such a wonderful feeling, to be so close once again. “I don't blame you, Remus. I know how it looked like.”

 

Remus only half heard. He twisted his hands so that they were palm on palm with Sirius' and intertwined their fingers. He smiled sheepishly at him, and Sirius returned the smile.

 

When they kissed, it was like the most natural thing in the world, like time had never passed at all. But then they broke apart, and it suddenly felt so wrong.

 

“I don't understand, though,” Remus said, unable to meet Sirius' gaze.

 

“What don't you understand?”

 

“Why switch to Peter? Why-?” Remus' eyes widened in sudden understanding. “You thought it was me... didn't you?”

 

Sirius let out a tired sigh before nodding. Remus immediately stood up and started pacing. “I feel so stupid,” he murmured to himself.

 

“I'm so sorry, Moony,” Sirius said, following his movements with apprehension.

 

Remus stopped and turned to him again. “Where does this leave us?”

 

Sirius shrugged. “I don't know...”

 

“If we aren't even able to trust each other...”

 

“Maybe we shouldn't worry about this right now? I've been a free man for little over twenty-four hours and... I'm not quite sure I'm officially a free man yet, actually... do you have any idea-?”

 

Remus shook his head. “Dumbledore is talking to Fudge right now. I doubt there will be problems, but they might give you a trial or something, just to get some... closure?”

 

Sirius made a grimace. “A trial? They'd be thirteen years late.”

 

“Not very fair, I agree,” Remus said quietly.

 

“That's the understatement of the century, Moony,” Sirius commented, amused.

 

“Isn't it hilarious, that we've been rescued by a bunch of time-travelling kids?”

 

“Very smart kids, though.”

 

“We were something...” Remus said, a bit nostalgic.

 

Sirius laughed. “Indeed we were.”

 

“Dumbledore told me this morning that he's figured out a way to send us – them – back. I'm not sure I'm ready to let them go.”

 

Sirius gave him a little, sympathetic smile. And then the smile turned into a sardonic grin. “By the way, Moony. Is it true that you tried to kill me?”

 

Remus raised an eyebrow. “Wouldn't you have done the exact same thing in my place?” he asked, offended.

 

“Sure. But you are always so calm and upright and reflexive... going straight for the killing... it's a bit out of character, isn't it?”

 

Remus gave out a little chuckle. “Must be your presence... you've always driven me crazy...”

 

Sirius stood and approached him, then circled his waist with his arms, pulling him to himself. “Ah, I love you, Professor Remus John Lupin.”

 

*

 

Peter had tried to avoid everyone since yesterday's over-dramatic happenings and, let's be honest, he'd been even too successful. He'd almost hoped that someone would make an attempt to reach out, but nobody did. And maybe it was better that way.

 

Right now he was sitting on his own at the shore of the Black Lake, just staring at the smooth surface and the shimmering reflection of the sun on it. Even if it was midday, it was freezing, and he was also starting to feel the pangs of hunger. But despite the discomfort he couldn't bring himself to move. His problems didn't seem quite as overwhelming there, his life didn't seem quite as much of a failure. The cold, hard ground anchored him to the world, somehow. Really, discomfort wasn't even that big of a punishment for... everything.

 

Suddenly, he felt someone's presence nearby and he hurried to wipe his tears away. He looked up to see Remus standing a few feet away from him, staring at him with an unreadable expression. "Did you come to tell me that you don't want anything to do with me anymore?" he asked hoarsely.

 

Remus took a step forward. “No. I came to tell you that Dumbledore wants to see all of us. We think he's found a way to send us back.”

 

Peter turned to look at the lake again. “Maybe I shouldn't come back with you.”

 

“Don't be absurd, Peter!”

 

Peter pulled a grass blade from the ground and proceeded to tear it to bits. He kept his attention on it even as Remus sat down next to him on the shore.

 

“You know,” Remus said after a while, “the fun thing about the future is...”

 

Peter turned to look at him once again, questioning.

 

“That it hasn't been written yet.”

 

Peter threw away the grass fragments in his hand and rested his chin on his knees with a sigh. “I'm not sure that's how it works.”

 

“Like a friend of mine once told me, maybe it's possible to change what you learn, if you learn enough.”

 

Peter chuckled despite himself, before sighing again. “That person didn't know what he was talking about.”

 

Remus turned to stare at him straight in the eyes. “You give yourself too little credit, Wormtail.”

 

“Too little credit? Didn't you see who – what – I'm going to become?”

 

“But you're not him yet. And I don't think you have to become him perforce.”

 

Peter shook his head. “But that's me, Remus! In the beginning, when we were told it was Sirius, my mind simply rejected the idea, but as soon as I realized it was me... it made sense, it was even obvious. I... I'm wrong. I've always been. My brain is always so full with dark thoughts, with rage, with envy, with... hatred...”

 

“Hatred? What are you talking about, Pete?”

 

Peter didn't reply. Remus seemed to want to add something, but he didn't. They both turned to stare at the gleaming water for a while.

 

Then, eventually, Remus put a hand on Peter's shoulder and squeezed, before standing up again. “We should go.”

 

Peter would've gladly sat there, looking out at the lake forever, but he nodded and raised to his feet anyway.

 

*

 

“Do you really have to go?”

 

Harry could hardly believe how attached he'd grown to James and Lily in such a short time. The week had been a rollercoaster, a series of emotional ups and downs and loop-de-loops so fast-paced and complicated that it felt it had lasted a lifetime. And yet, now, it felt like it was over too soon.

 

James gave him a smile and pulled him in a hug. “Ah, Harry, come on! Cheer up! You knew we couldn't stay forever.” He let him go and gave him a look-over, with a serious but gentle expression. “I'm so proud of you, my son. It's been a honour getting to know you. I look forward to meeting you again.”

 

“You will meet me again, but I won't get to meet you. It's not fair,” Harry protested, lowering his eyes to the ground.

 

Lily reached out and stroked his arm. “We love you, child. And I know it's not particularly helpful, but... we'll be with you forever. We live in your heart. I'm sure we are watching down on you from heaven right now and that we'll keep doing so every day of your life. You'll never be alone.”

 

Harry nodded sadly.

 

“And don't forget,” Sirius intervened, sticking his chest out proudly, “that now you can have a godfather as awesome as me!”

 

James hit Sirius on the back of his head while Lily rolled her eyes vehemently.

 

All three hugged Harry tightly in turn. Lily, who came last, held him just a tad bit longer. “You will be alright,” she whispered, and kissed him on the forehead.

 

Harry watched them as they filed out of the portrait hole. Ron and Hermione moved close to him.

 

“Are you okay, mate?” Ron asked, patting his shoulder.

 

“I guess. I'm just going to miss them.”

 

“Lily's right, you know?” Hermione said softly. “You are not alone.”

 

Harry gave her a grateful smile. If anything, he was lucky to have such wonderful friends.

 

*

 

When Peter and Remus got to Dumbledore's office, everyone else was already there. Remus immediately went to stand next to Sirius. Peter lingered a bit distanced from the rest. He could feel his friends' stares on him, see the haste in their eyes, but maybe it was just his impression. Maybe it was just his own self-loathing that he imagined to see reflected there.

 

“As I am sure you have already guessed,” Dumbledore started saying, stealing everyone's attention to himself. “After some deep researches I have determined how to reverse Mr Potter's accidental charm and to send you safely back to your time.”

 

Peter saw out of the corner of his eye James, Sirius and Lily nodding solemnly. Remus was still glancing at him, and he felt something lurking unpleasantly in his stomach.

 

“I am afraid there will be a contraindication, though,” Dumbledore went on seriously.

 

“Contraindication?” Remus repeated, worried.

 

“You will not keep the memory of anything that's happened during your stay in this time period.”

 

“Wait, what?!” Peter exclaimed. Everyone turned to him, and this time he was one hundred percent sure that the dark looks he got were real.

 

“I am afraid there is no way around it. And I have to say, it is probably for the better. No one should live knowing as much as you do about their future. It will be much better for you all to start anew.”

 

“I agree,” Sirius said darkly, to no one in particular. “I only want to forget this whole mess, thank you very much.” It was a tone that Peter had never heard from him and that just felt wrong.

 

“Well, are we all ready, then?” James asked briskly. Were they really all so impatient to cancel this experience completely?

 

Peter wasn't. While his most selfish part did desire to put it all behind his back and forget, he couldn't allow himself to walk the path that would eventually lead him to become the disgusting man he'd met yesterday. And as he realized that, an idea formed in his mind. “Oh, no!” he exclaimed, pretending to be alarmed. “Remus! We forgot that thing!”

 

Remus looked at him perplexed. “What are you tal-”

 

Peter didn't let him finish. He grabbed his hand and pulled him out of the office quickly.

 

“Peter, what the hell?” Remus asked once they were alone. Thankfully he had the common sense to keep his voice low.

 

“I can't forget,” Peter told him, seriously.

 

“Pete... you heard Dumbledore... there's no way around this. And we need to go back now, we can't risk to mess the timeline any worse.”

 

“I know. But we can still help our past-future selves to make things work out... do you have a quill and some parchment?”

 

Obviously, Remus understood immediately Peter's intentions. “Peter...”

 

“I'm not going to destroy everything, Remus!”

 

Remus sighed as he took out from his bag what Peter had requested. Peter bit his lip as he tried to come up with the right words and scribbled them down quickly. Eventually he folded the sheet and put it in his pocket, before returning the quill to Remus. And then, without any warning, he leaned in and kissed him delicately.

 

“Peter!” Remus exclaimed shocked once they separated.

 

Peter blushed a little, but he wasn't at all regretful. “Sorry, it was my last chance, I had to do it. You're going to forget it soon, anyway, so no harm's done.”

 

Remus stared at him for a few moments. “How long-?” he started eventually, cautiously.

 

“Oh, it's been a couple of years, now. I didn't tell you anything because I assumed you were straight. It wasn't worth going through a rejection and risking to ruin our friendship.”

 

“Well, I'm not.”

 

“You're not what?”

 

“Straight.”

 

Peter blinked. “So you could have...”

 

“I don't know... I mean, Sirius...”

 

Peter snorted. “Sirius. Of course. I should've known.” And then he gave Remus a little smile. “Well... good luck, then, I guess?”

 

Remus nodded and smiled back. “Thank you, Wormtail.”

 

“We should get back in there. 1976 is waiting for us.”

 

“It'll be a great year.”

 

“The absolute best.”