A Hell of a Sin by RonsGirlFriday

78 Reviews · 33 likes · Table of Contents · Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Prompt: envy

2020 HC Finale (sandcastles)

Percy allowed himself the time it took to shower, brush his teeth, and glare at his hairline, to steep in his jealousy and then smarten up and move on.


Day after day, year after year of proving himself, only to remain locked in unfulfilling positions because it was “where his talents were most needed.” (Also, nobody ever added, because of the supreme cock-ups of your youth.)


Audrey was intelligent, capable… and passive. Yet opportunity had fallen into her lap without her seeking it out. Stupid thing was, that job didn’t even interest Percy. It suited Audrey, and what’s more, she undoubtedly deserved it. But why couldn’t it be that easy for him?


In the bedroom, Percy retrieved his watch atop the nightstand, placing it in the drawer next to a small velvet box Audrey didn’t know about yet. Then he settled into bed, stroking her cheek, looking into the eyes that would still have seen him as worthy if all he ever did was fetch tea for others.


The fact was, Audrey had been entrusted with the Wizengamot’s collective ear for the same reason she’d been entrusted with Percy Weasley’s heart.

 

She was certain to do great things with it.

End notes:

Are these the Percy and Audrey from Irrational? Yes. Is this connected meaningfully to Irrational? Hell if I know (but only because I haven't advanced in that story far enough yet to be able to tell whether this fits in the overall chronology). Have fun with your conjectures, but don't hold me to anything. ;)